Definitionsgenitals. See penis and vagina for synonyms.
3. Have an affair , to have a romantic or sexual relationship, especially one of short duration.
Synonyms: affair of the heart; affaire d'amour; affaire de coeur; intimacy; love affair; amourette; fling; liaison; relationship; romance; romantic affair.
(1) Leo Schneider (Joseph Bologna) to Faye Medwick (Valerie Harper) in Chapter Two (1979): ' I can't be faithful to my wife and I hate the guilt that comes from fooling around. So I compromise. I have a lot of unpleasurable affairs.'
(2) Jess (Bruno Kirby) and Harry (Billy Crystal) in When Harry Met Sally (1989):
-- Jess: ' Marriages don't break up on account of infidelity. It's just a symbol that something else is wrong.'
-- Harry: ' Really?! Well, that symbol is fucking my wife.'
(3) Shirlee Kenyan (Dolly Parton) hosting a radio call-in show in Straight Talk (1992): ' Now let me get this straight. You got a wife and you got a girlfriend in the office? Did you say your name was Bud or Stud? I'm sorry, but it sounds to me like you're living your life so crooked you have to screw your socks on. Having an affair is like shooting pool on two tables. You may have the balls, Bud, but you're gonna wear out your stick.'
(4) A journalist (Michael O'Keefe) to Nina (Laura San Giacomo) in Nina Takes a Lover (1995): ' The question is which is the greater sin. Taking a lover or putting your lover in a position where they need another.'
(5) Christina (Elizabeth Pena) about her affair with Governor Farley in The Second Civil War (1998): ' It was an affair... let's keep it at that. '