(1) Willie Stark (Broderick Crawford) in All the King's Men (1949): ' Man is conceived in sin and born in corruption.'
(2) Gwendolyn Chelm (Jennifer Jones) to Mr. Petersen (Robert Morley) in Beat the Devil (1954): ' Isn't that what we're all concerned with, sin? '
(3) Tom (Nick Nolte) and Susan (Barbra Streisand) in The Prince of Tides (1991):
-- Tom Wingo: ' Lowenstein, I think I like adultery.'
-- Susan Lowenstein: ' That's why they made it a sin.'
(4) The narrator (Jodhi May) in The Scarlet Letter (1995): ' Who is to say what is a sin in God's eye? '
(5) John Milton (Al Pacino) in The Devil's Advocate (1998): ' Vanity is definitely my favorite sin.'
2. To transgress the laws of God; to commit an illegal or immoral act(ion).
Synonyms: backslide; be wicked; break commandment; break law; cheat; commit crime; commit sin; deviate; do wrong; err; fall; fall from grace; go astray; lapse; live in sin; misbehave; misconduct; offend; stray; take the primrose path; transgress; trespass; wallow in the mire; wander.
(1) Lucius, the narrator (Burgess Meredith) in The Reivers (1969): ' Boone knew something I didn't, that the rewards of virtue are cold, and odorless, and tasteless, and not to be compared with the bright and exciting pleasures of sin and wrong-doing.'
(2) Mrs. Flax (Cher) and her daughter Charlotte (Winona Ryder) in Mermaids (1990):
-- Mrs. Flax: ' Okay, how do I look? '
-- Charlotte: ' Like a woman about to go forth in sin.'
-- Mrs. Flax: ' Oh, good. Exactly the look I was hoping for.'
Quote: Howard (Woody Allen) in The Front (1976): ' In my family the biggest sin was to buy retail.'
4. Something regarded as shameful, wrongul or wicked.Synonyms: evil; evildoing; iniquity; malefaction; tort; transgression; trespass; violation; crime; felony; misdemeanor; villainy; misdeed; offense; infraction; unrighteousness; wrong; wrongdoing.
(1) Alexis Zorba (Anthony Quinn) to the Englishman Basil (Alan Bates) in Zorba the Greek (1964): ' If a woman sleeps alone it puts a shame on all men. God has a very big heart, but there is one sin He will not forgive. If a woman calls a man to her bed and he will not go.'
5. Sin of many men , obsolete literary allusion to ejaculated semen or the ejaculation of semen. According to James T. Henke in Courtesans and Cuckolds. A Glossary of Renaissance Dramatic Bawdy (1979): ' A seminal emission in the vagina of a whore literally would be a "sin".'