copulation between a homo- or heterosexual couple. This definition included, in past centuries, sexual activities deviating from the normal, especially fellatio, cunnilingus and bestiality, but this usage is gradually becoming obsolete. See anal copulation for synonyms. This definition included homosexuality before the coinage of that word in a medical journal in 1858.
(1) W.B. Yeats: ' Love has pitched her mansion in the place of excrement.'
(2) St. Augustine: 'Inter faeces et urinem nascimur.' (We are born between feces and urine.)
(3) Robert Reisner. Graffiti. Two Thousand Years of Wall Writing : 'Fuck scatology.'
(4) Ibid.: ' Homosexuality is a pain in the ass. '
(5) Atoon (Gedde Watanabe) about the sumo wrestlers ogling his ass, and Lawrence Bourne III (Tom Hanks) in Volunteers (1985):
-- Atoon: ' Don't say nothing more. They want to use me like a woman.'
-- Lawrence: ' Well, you'll just have to show them you can take it like a man.'
2. A vague legal term for a variety of sexual acts including sex between men (anal intercourse) or between humans and beasts (bestiality), which are considered unnatural and therefore unlawful. Sodomy laws are many and varied. In the US legal terminology, sodomy is anal intercourse. Most countries still outlaw bestiality but homosexuality is rapidly being decriminalized.Etymology: From Sodom, the proverbial city of sin in The Book of Genesis 18:19.
Quote: A.D.A. Lisa Heller (Catherine Dent) in Jaded (1999): ' Legally, sodomy is when a person engages in deviant sexual intercourse with another person by force or compulsion, or it the person is incapable of consent by being physically helpless, or if they're under eleven years old.'