Definitionmarriage. Francis Grose ( honey moon ) in his Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue (1811): ' The first month after marriage.'
2. A period of blissful harmony at the beginning of a relationship or following a marriage.
3. Or: honeymoon trip , the holiday taken together by a newly married couple.
(1) Lena O'connor (Thelma Ritter) to Samantha 'Sam' Blake (Joanne Woodward) in A New Kind of Love (1963): ' One thing a fellah doesn't want from a girl is surprises. Forty percent of all divorce cases start on honeymoon night.'
(2) Allan Felix (Woody Allen) in Play It Again, Sam (1972): ' We went to Mexico for our honeymoon. I spent the entire two weeks in bed... I had dysentery.'
(3) Dan Turner (Dom De Luise) speaking of Marlo (Mae West) in Sextette (1978): ' Marlo loves short marriages and very long honeymoons.'
(4) Corey (Jane Fonda) and Paul (Robert Redford) at the Plaza Hotel in Barefoot in the Park (1967):
-- Corey: ' Paul, if the honeymoon doesn't work out let's not get divorced, let's kill each other.'
-- Paul: ' Let's have the maid do it. I hear the service here is wonderful.'
(5) Tillie Schlaine (Carol Burnett) to Pete Seltzer (Walter Matthau) after about six months of dating in Pete 'n' Tillie (1972): ' Honeymoon's over. Time to get married.'
(6) Caroline (Andie MacDowell) and Charles (Hugh Grant) in Four Weddings and a Funeral (1993):-- Carrie: ' Why do you think it's called honeymoon? '-- Charles: ' Hmmm, I don't know. I suppose it's honey because it's sweet as honey and moon because it's the first time a husband got to see his wife's bottom.'
Add or improve a definition
Hong Kong dog
Hong Kong hip hop