sheath of latex, polyurethane, or animal intestine worn over the penis during intercourse to prevent pregnancy and the transmission of sexually transmitted diseases. With the advent of the female condom a distinction is sometimes made today between male and female condom. Condoms are not 100% effective; some STDs are contracted by skin to skin contact outside the protective area of a condom. See condom [SYN] for synonyms.
- a) Check the expiry date on the condom.
- b) Do not store condoms in warm places (not in your back pocket); it weakens the latex.
- c) Avoid oil-based lubricants; they weaken latex condoms.
- d) Use plenty of water-based lubricant (to prevent condoms breaking, and to avoid tiny cuts in the skin).
Etymology: Possibly named after: a) Dr. Condom or Conton, a physician at the court of Charles II (ca 1660-1685). b) Colonel Condum in the Royal Guard to Condom, a town in Germany.
COPULATION WITH A CONDOM: armored division; cheat the census; cloak the captain; coitus condomatus; fight in armor; safe sex; showering in a raincoat.
COPULATION WITHOUT A CONDOM: a capella; a straight shot; apache; baby-gallop; bald journey; bareback sex; barebacking; barefoot; BB; gymnophallation; have sex meat-to-meat; meat-to-meat; raw sex; riding bareback; rough-riding (roughriding); skin-diver; unprotected sex; wombwashing.SHEATED PENIS: condomized.UNSHEATED PENIS: barefoot; unsheated penis; baby-grinder; bareback-rider; condomless.
(1) John Irving. The World According to Garp (1978): ' No glove, no love.'
(2) Vivian Ward (Julia Roberts) and Edward Lewis (Richard Gere) in Pretty Woman (1990)-- Vivian: ' Pick one! I've got red, I've got green, I've got yellow, I'm out of purple but I do have one Gold Circle Coin left, the condom of champions, the one and only, nothing is getting through this sucker. What do you say? '-- Edward: ' A buffet of safety.'
Add or improve a definition
condom practicing device