loved one, more often a woman; also a term of address between men.
(1) BarbWire (1997) or Barbara Kapetski (Pamela Anderson Lee): ' Don't call me babe! '
(2) Harry Van (Clark Gable) and Irene (Norma Shearer) in Idiot's Delight (1939):
-- Irene: ' My name isn't babe, it's Irene.'
-- Harry: ' Don't worry about it. I call everybody babe.'
-- Irene: ' Perhaps that's why I don't like it. I'm not eveybody.'
(3) Ford Fairlane (Andrew Dice Clay) in The Adventures of Ford Fairlane (1990): ' I would trust that babe as far as I could ball her.'
(2) Mike Campbell (Mike Meyers) and Garth Algar (Dana Carvey) looking at a photograph of Claudia Schiffer in Wayne's World (1992): 'She's a babe. Schwing!!!! ' Schwing, accompanied by a thrust forward of the hips, leaves no doubt in the viewers mind as to how they really feel about Claudia.
(4) Lance (Anthony Edwards) welcoming Walter 'Gib' Gibson (John Cusack) in The Sure Thing (1985): ' Welcome to California, home of the waves and the babes.'