Definitionmacho, virile, or tough, regardless of gender or gender identity. Synonym: bull.
(1) Cyber-chatter Iceman, Angela Bennett (Sandra Bullock) and Cyberbob in The Net (1995):
-- Iceman: ' So, what do you want in a man? '
-- Angela: ' Butch, beautiful, brilliant, Captain America meets Albert Schweitzer. Spends all day dashing into the Free while making world safe for democracy; at night playing Bach Cantatas while curing cancer.'
-- Cyberbob: 'Settle for a guy who puts the seat down? '
(2) Captain (Geoffrey Lewis) to Cash (Kurt Rusell) dressed in drags in Tango and Cash (1989): ' I suggest you slip into something a little more butch.'
2. Noun and adjective to describe a masculine-looking lesbian, especially one who dresses and behaves in a stylized masculine manner; a mannish lesbian.
Synonyms: boon dagger; boonch; bootch; bull; bull bitch; bull-dagger; bull-dike(r); bull-dogger; bumper; butch lesbian; butch dagger; butz; diesel dyke; dike; dyke; top-sergeant.
3. In lesbian relationships, the partner who assumes the active or dominant (male-identified) role as opposed to femme, the passive or submissive (female-identified) partner.
See also: femme; butch/femme.
5. In teenspeak, a close-cropped haircut. Synonym: crew cut.
Add or improve a definition
butch in the streets
butch it up